This is one of those recipes I remember my grandma making yet I never had the guts to try and make them myself!
Fortunately, baby #3 and I were craving some peanut buttery butterscotch chocolate the other day so I whipped up some Scotch-a-roos (which are actually pretty easy to make!)
They didn’t turn out quite as well as grandma’s, but then again, does anything ever?
Recipe derived from RiceKrispies.com
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups rice cereal (Rice Krispies or store brand – we used store brand)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
- Place corn syrup and sugar into a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved and the mixture begins to boil. (Tip from the website: spray the measuring cup with cooking spray before measuring corn syrup. The corn syrup will slide right out of the measuring cup.)
- Lower heat and add peanut butter. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add rice cereal and mix until cereal is well coated.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray and press mixture into pan. Set aside.
- In a smaller saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips (add more butterscotch chips if you want the extra sweetness).
- When completely melted, pour over the bars, spreading evenly. (I didn’t think there would be enough to coat the entire top, but it did!)
- Let stand until firm (minimum 3 hours).