Disclosure: Life as Leels has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free. Compensation received does not impact the thoughts and opinions expressed in this post.
We are a family of 5 which includes a blogger; a work from home parent (I work for a local company); a virtual assistant; an independent Tupperware consultant; a gamer who also enjoys online time; and 2 elementary aged children who have school work and games online.
Pretty sure we would be considered a ‘techie’ home. Hence my list of these 5 items you need for a techie home.
1. A schedule. With me working four jobs all online and the kids wanting to do their school stuff plus then hubby wanting the computer – we need a schedule. Grant you, we have 4 computers (they are all in various stages of working ability) but that’s a lot of internet usage which then slows things down worse than they are (and I am not the most patient person in the world. Read: Not patient at all!)
A schedule lets everyone get what they need done and also ensures that people don’t sit online all day and neglect their responsibilities.
2. Computers, tablets, or phones. We have all of the above. Fortunately, it let’s us do various tasks without interrupting our schedule from #1.
3. Storage. Whether you have an external hard drive to help back everything up, jump drives, or extra internal storage – you need it! I currently have “work” on 3 computers… 2 are hooked up, one isn’t, and I have no clue how to get it all on one computer!
You could invest in cloud storage as well (although don’t ask me about that. I would suggest speaking to a techie person like the fine folks at Best Buy!)
4. Space. Lots of space. I have my “corner” in two rooms – my “office corner” and my “couch corner”. My kids have a table set off to the side of my “office corner” to do their school work and school games. Hubby of course has his own area to play his video games whether he’s playing on his gaming system, computer, or his phone!
5. A router that can withstand all the internet use. Best Buy provided us a WRT3200ACM MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router in exchange for this post and I couldn’t be happier that we have had the opportunity to use it!
The router is powered by Tri-Stream 160 technology which doubles the bandwidth. In Leila terms, it means it makes the internet fast! (It claims the fastest dual-band router AND the ability to gain access to restricted DFS channels at full bandwidth for the clearest Wi-Fi too!)
If you are a techie person, you can learn more about the WRT3200ACM MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router on the Best Buy website, but in short, it offers
- 1.8 GHz CPU for high-powered performance
- MU-MIMO technology for high-speed Wi-Fi to multiple devices at the same time, same speed
- Open-source ready with OpenWrt and DD-WRT® for complete flexibility and customization of functions
- Upgraded Smart Wi-Fi app to manage and monitor your home Wi-Fi from a mobile device, anytime, anywhere
- 256MB Flash and 512MB of RAM Memory
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports
We have been using the router and have also hooked up our television streaming device to it.
I have noticed that my internet on the computers appears faster regardless of how many of us are online.
The set up was super easy and we haven’t had any issues with it. It is not only a brand that we have learned to trust; it is a product that we recommend!