One of my goals for 2013 was to get healthier.
To me, getting healthier was just the physical. Eating healthier. Exercising. Losing weight. Getting fit.
I didn’t think of the mental or the emotional, until my psychiatrist introduced me to the 5 keys to being healthy – mentally, physically and emotionally.
1. Eat properly. Meaning eat 3 meals per day, or 4-5 smaller meals per day. For me, this is one of my biggest challenges. I tend to not eat breakfast or lunch. I get too wrapped up in the baby or work and just don’t eat. One should not go more than 4 hours hungry!
Additionally, I need to give up the soda. Again. I did it once before and then relapsed. It’s time to get back on that wagon.
2. Exercise. Even if that means walking every night. My sister in law has been a huge inspiration. Every night for the last 4 weeks, she has walked 2 miles. In my head, I want to do it. I can do it. I just need to keep the motivation to do it.
Follow me on my Facebook page to help me remain more accountable. I will be posting to try to keep myself on track!
3. Positive Self Talk. For me, this is a big one. I am always second guessing myself or talking myself out of something. For instance, one of many reasons I dropped out of college was because I figured with my mental health issues, who was I to counsel anyone else with mental health issues. In the words of my pyschiatrist – if that was the case, there would be no therapist, psychologists or psychiatrists.
I need to focus on building myself up rather than second guessing myself and down talking myself.
4. Therapy. Not everyone needs therapy, but I find that there is nothing more comforting than having someone to talk to. Vent to. Talking problems out loud really help focus and solve a problem on your own.
5. Spirituality. Being in touch with your spiritual side. Whether you are religious or not – get in touch with your spiritual side.
Personally, I go in phases. I have my very strong spiritual moments and other times, I am more reserved. I know for me personally, when I feel closest to my spiritual side, I feel better mentally, emotionally and physically.
While there is still time to work on my resolution, I will be focusing on these 5 keys to being healthy – not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.