Disclosure: The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.
Meet Dash – Dash is a real robot, charged and ready to play out of the box. Responding to voice, navigating objects, dancing, and singing, Dash is the robot you always dreamed of having. Use Wonder, Blockly, and other apps to create new behaviors for Dash — doing more with robotics than ever possible. No books or camps needed!
Our kids actually renamed Dash. His new name is “Blue” (they’re so creative aren’t they?)
Blue has been quite popular in our home as he is a robot who does talk. In fact, we have learned that he doesn’t take well to being man handled (he will say “hey! hey!”); he recognizes when he runs into something and will go backwards; he says “ohhh” quite a bit; and he says “hello” when you turn him on.
Blue is ran via an app that can be downloaded via iTunes, Google AND Amazon (how great is that!?) So long as it has a bluetooth connection to connect the two devices; it can work.
Once you have the app, there are different ways and different apps that can be used to play with your robot.
Dash comes with building brick extensions so that you can make Leg creations to add to him. B is super excited about this and cannot wait to build something for his Blue. (Personally, I’m excited to see what he comes up with!)
Dash has several other accessories that you can purchase to add on and use –
* bulldozer bar – how great to help push around those Legos on the floor into one big pile for easy pick up?
* bunny ears and a tail to turn Dash into a bunny
* launcher – attach the launcher and launch objects
* smart phone mount – attach your smart phone so Dash can record things going on around the house
* tow hook – hook up a tow hook to have Dash tow your toys
* xylophone – compose or play music while Dash roams around
Dash is a great “toy” for all ages for not only fun and entertainment, but for education too!
* The Wonder App makes robotics accessible to children ages 8 and up. Kids can use phones and tablets to easily create their own real-world gadgets and robots, providing a stepping stone to the advanced world of robotics, engineering, and technology. Kids design behaviors and interactions for the real robot Dash and their coding companion Dot, that provide them with personality and intelligence. Wonder is visual and intuitive, a revolutionary new framework for students to learn about the world and how technology in their everyday lives work.
* The Blockly App is a drag-and-drop visual programming tool that introduces children as young as 8 to fundamental programming concepts including: Algorithm Design, Command Sequences and Control Flow, Conditionals, Loops, and Sensors and Events through creative problem solving.
* The Xylo App introduces children to programming through music and play. Start off by composing a musical phrase, and learn the following concepts while Dash performs: Algorithm design, Command sequences and control flow, and Loops
* The Path App introduces children to sequences, events, and sensors through its simple draw, drag, and drop interface. Plan, program, and execute an adventure for Dash while learning fundamental concepts of computational thinking.
* The Go App shows you the basic controls on Dash. This app is a portal to online content and activities.
Our entire family has enjoy having Blue as a part of our family and I love watching the kids’ minds turn with different ideas and learning while playing with Blue! He is definitely a keeper!