As the weather gets cooler, it can be easy to become a couch potato and not want to leave home base. Now that fall is in full swing, it’s time to get creative on ways to have fun with the family. Plot twist: we’re going to do this without breaking the bank. Yes, you heard me right. It’s possible to have good old family fun without spending a fortune and I’m going to tell you how.
1. DIY Sundae Bar – Ice cream is the perfect treat all year round if you ask me. And a DIY sundae bar is the perfect treat to a cozy night in. It’s as easy as grabbing a few cartons of vanilla or chocolate ice cream, sprinkles, syrup, and any other toppings you desire! Boom, instant memories made.
2. Cooking and Baking – There’s something very rewarding from completing a recipe start to finish. Not to mention eating your hard work! Trying a new recipe together as a family is a great way to build teamwork skills and get the kids involved.
3. Spooky Movie Night – Nothing screams (haha) fall like a cozy night in with your favorite Halloween or scary movie. This is a great opportunity for the kids to build a fort, grab some snacks, and snuggle up to watch their favorite spooky flick.
4. Game Night – Game night is a great way to introduce some friendly competition into the family. Keep an eye out for board games at garage sales- there’s alway some hidden gems there! Even teaching the kids some classic card games like gin, rummy, and old maid. It doesn’t have to be fancy and expensive!
5. Head to a Local State Park – Take advantage of your town’s local parks and trails and explore some of the awesome foliage that happens during this time of the year. This is a great opportunity for a family photo op!
6. Explore your City with a Treasure Hunt – Scope out a local park (or even your backyard) and come up with a list of things the family can search for. Split up into teams if you have some little ones that would need some extra help, or just hand each kid the list and set them loose. Set a meeting time and a place and come prepared with prizes for the winning team!
7. Museums – Museums are a great way to get out of the house if the weather isn’t great. Sites like Groupon always have discounts for admission to local museums and science centers.
All of these activities are very easy to plan without breaking the bank. If you’re aiming to plan a family activity that requires a bit more cash flow, companies like Earnest provide low interest personal loans to financially responsible people. This way you still have enough for smaller activities throughout the season and into the winter months.
Feel free to share your own budget friendly family activities in the comments below. Happy Fall!
Bio: Jamie Wharton is the Outreach Coordinator for Earnest. She has a passion for educating others on financial wellness and budgeting. In her free time you can find Jamie at her favorite coffee spot sipping a latte with a good book.