The following information was found at The Pablove Foundation:
* Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children, claiming the lives of more children each year than AIDS, asthma, cystic fibrosis and diabetes combined.
* Each year in the United States, approximately 13,500 children and adolescents under the age of 20, are diagnosed with cancer.
* Over 175,000 children are diagnosed with cancer worldwide each year.
* Prior to their 20th birthday, one out of every 300 males and one out of every 333 females in America will develop cancer.
* Childhood cancer does not discriminate. It spares no ethnic group, no socio-economic class or geographic region.
* Approximately one in 500 young adults is a childhood cancer survivor. Nearly 2/3 of the survivors later experience significant and chronic medical problems or develop secondary cancers as adults that result from the treatment of their original cancer.
* In the past 20 years only two new cancer drugs have been approved specifically for pediatric cancer.
* The causes of most pediatric cancers remain a mystery and cannot be prevented.
* The average childhood cancer victim loses 71 life years.
* Researchers estimate that 51% of moms and 40% of dads who have a child with cancer meet the criteria for “Acute Stress Disorder” within two weeks of the cancer diagnoses.
* * * * *
Stand Up To Cancer Vitals
Founded: May 28, 2008
Funds Pledged since inception: $262 Million
Research grant commitments awarded to date: $161 million for 37 grants
Number of scientists funded: 500
Number of institutions joining in SU2C’s collaborative mission: 101
Number of people in the U.S. who were diagnosed with cancer today: 4,490
Time to fix the problem: Now
Personally, I loved the Stand Up To Cancer telethon they did last year! You can donate to Stand Up To Cancer here.