Going to a big party? Getting ready isn’t always easy. If you want to look great and stand out you’ll need a good party dress, but you’ll also need much more than that. Here are our tips for how to get ready for a party—and look great every time.
1. Pick out your dress (or dresses) beforehand – Great parties call for great party dresses, and it’s best to know ahead of time which one you’re planning to wear. This will save you time and worry the day of the party, not to mention the hassle of last minute shopping. Of course, we know not every girl can pick just one, and one of our favorite tactics is to put out three dresses for the night of the party, and make the final pick last minute.
2. Plan two hours of prep time – This is where so many girls go wrong (and drive their dates crazy!). Getting fully ready for a party usually takes over an hour, so it’s best to set aside two. Remember that you’ll need to shower and blow your hair dry before even beginning to style and dress.
3. Consider different styles – One of the best parts of a party is the chance to dress differently than you normally would, and to look “special” in some way. But a lot of us simply develop a new normal for parties—in other words, we always dress up the same way. Instead, consider trying something different than your usual look for the next bash. If you usually show up in uber-sexy dresses, try a more sweet and charming look. If you normally show up in bright colors, trying rocking black and white or a sexy librarian look. And if you’re normally all business try wearing something a little artsy and carefree. It can be very liberating to step outside your normal style for one night.
4. Hair – After your hair is clean and blow dried, decide whether to style or go au natural. Most girls will style to some extent for a party, but a natural look can be ravishing, especially with a strapless party dress. If you are styling, give the do a fine mist of hairspray, but never so much that it becomes crunchy.
5. Makeup – Makeup varies widely depending on the look you want but, in general, you’re going to use mascara and lip gloss or lip stick at a minimum. If you want to look sexy, then you should make your lips look fuller and your eyelashes longer.
6. Accessories – Your accessories should depend on the kind of party you’re going to and what look you want to create. For example, the same dress can look very different if worn with a shawl and jeweled clutch versus with a leather jacket and a plush tiger-print purse.
7. Get your strut on – No matter what look you choose, hold your head high, be yourself and smile. Confidence is the sexiest accessory.
What else do you do to get ready for a party?