I think over the years, people have lost sight of what Christmas should be about. It has gotten very commercialized. I don’t want my kids growing up expecting fancy expensive gifts. I want my children to grow up and be thankful for all that they have and help others by giving to those who need it more than we do. For the past couple of years, we have made our own Christmas presents for people. So… if you still have some last minute Christmas shopping to be done, forget the craziness of the stores and make some of these ideas (my own and ones that I found!)
– Making jewelry. I am a “pro” at plain beaded bracelets and have made handmade bracelets for several family members. (And it’s a very calming process as well!)
– Hand painted picture frames are another fun project!
– Handmade cook book. I did this for my sister in law one year. I used a photo album, decorated it all neat, and printed off a bunch of recipes to put inside. Plus I left some blank pages for her to add her own.
– The no sew blanket! You can find directions here: No Sew Blanket
– A great one I have found this year is a cookie in a jar! (While I have received or made the other ideas on this list- I have not done this one… YET!) Essentially, you layer the dry ingredients of your favorite cookie recipe in a mason jar, screw on the lid and attach a note card with the cookie recipe to the jar with some pretty ribbon!
– Themed gift baskets are always a fun one too. One year I did a bath product one for my sister in law. I got a basket and loaded it up with pedicure tools, lotions, body washes, etc. It can easily be customized for any person with any theme. I am doing another one this year, but I am not sure who reads this so I can’t list what it is until after Christmas!
– Handmade personalized calendars. One year before Christmas, my sisters and I got all dressed up and did our own little photo shoot. I developed the pictures and then used them to create a personalized calendar for my mom for Christmas. Great affordable gift!
– Personalized journals. One of my favorite gits last year was from my sister in law. She used construction paper to decorate the front of a spiral journal and then modge podged it! It keeps and is a great personalized journal made just for me!
What cool handmade gifts have you given or received?